Feeling Overwhelmed In Work and Life?
I have been there, overwhelmed and feeling stuck in work and life. it can hit you all at once or build up over time and out of no where you are hit with it. I started feeling like my route has gotten stale and no longer serving my needs. I knew I was not in a good place and needed change. But where do I start? How do I make this change? Its too scary for this change, Ill just keep going and pushing through it, that will make it better. I just throw myself into Work/ Life and it will work itself out. How overwhelmed, beat, tired, and burned-out do I need to feel due to the “too much to do / can’t stop now / keep going this is my identity” syndrome am I willing to feel? I kept telling myself to "suck it up buttercup" it will get better, with out changing anything, I was so wrong. Oh boy, I was so very wrong.
Are you one of those people who can’t seem to stop “doing?”
I have yet to meet anyone who hasn’t felt overwhelmed from time to time. Since it tends to feel uncomfortable, if not downright unpleasant, we tend to view it as negative and as a weakness. We don’t dare to admit we are overwhelmed or dare to talk about it, which can leave us feeling isolated and alone, further exacerbating the feeling. We often deny we are overwhelmed because we do not know how to stop the frenetic behavior that leads to this feeling. So we do nothing. Our employers, colleagues or friends often do not help support us to stop overworking.
Why do we do this to ourselves? Primarily, this syndrome occurs in our work life but it can carry over to our personal and family life, and it frequently does. Focusing on projects often begins with good intentions but we can quickly and easily be overwhelmed if we do not have a plan to minimize and balance our work. Getting the project finalized for your team, writing the copy for your website, designing the new sales brochure or completing the 90-day marketing plan are extremely important – but having a balanced, healthy life is equally important.
This stressful pattern is telling you to change your life! Once you get this message, it is easier to identify the steps you need to take to shift out of the behavior quickly.
Following are helpful strategies gleaned from my personal experience and from my work with coaching clients who are burned out, growing cranky, frustrated and even depressed. These strategies immediately diminish feelings of being overwhelmed so you can refocus and make some work/life balance decisions.
1. Stop what you are doing for a few minutes and take a break. Go for a short walk, sit outside under a tree, meditate, breathe deeply, go to a movie, call a friend to have coffee and share what is going on.
2. Get a piece of paper and make two columns. In one column, list urgent things you need to do this week. In the other column, list those projects that you can delegate, hire or barter to be done.
3. Eliminate, eliminate, eliminate. Unsubscribe to unnecessary junk-mail, organize your desk and office to decrease clutter, stop attending meetings not important to you, get off committees and decrease volunteering at fundraisers unless you have a total passion for the organization and the cause.
4. Do not spend time with people whom you do not like. Assess your friends and business colleagues. Do they support and honor who you are? If they don’t share your vision for your dreams, don’t spend another minute with them.
5. Decide what is most important in your life. If you want a balanced life, you will have to make changes in your life to allow this to happen. That takes some time and planning but it will be well worth the improvement in your life!
6. Take an action step today to make change in your life! Call a friend who will support you, take a class to get organized, or work with a coach who will support and motivate you to have a more balanced life.
Remember sitting with your stress and taking the time to see what is important is healthy. Noticing you are in a funk is good. It is what you do with it is what is important. If you are needing some extra help or know someone going through a tough time, I am here to help. Just email or text me, I will be there to support you through your tough time.
Happy, Healthy, and SparkLIFE,