When people hear the word NUTRITION, they immediately think limitations the dreaded "DIET" word.
No sugar, no potato chips, no quick grab and go. I want to help retrain your brains opinion about nutrition. Yep I said retrain your brain. If you are like me you grew up in the low fat low carb era. If you ate bread it was horrible and to put butter on it you would be so wrong. I say eat you bread and butter. Enjoy it, don't punish yourself for feeding your body. Be aware of what you are eating and how it is fueling your body’s needs. Are you filling up your plate with veggies? Are you remembering to eat fruit? Adding healthy fats to your cooking? Are your being selective about your meat? Using carbs for energy and and brain power? Keep reading for some more tips I have shared with my clients and follow myself. I hope you find some that work for your. No one size fits all.
“Food for us comes from our relatives, whether they have wings or fins or roots. That is how we consider food. Food has a culture. It has a history. It has a story. It has relationships.”
– Winona LaDuke
Here are a few steps I have learned with Not dieting and being surrounded with diet culture.
1. Start adding more fruits and vegetables to your plates. Finding little ways to add to each meal will help you not loose the things you love but help your body get in more nutrients. I like to add fresh tomato and spinach to my eggs, its delish. Add in squash or sweet potato + some spinach to meat balls. Puree cauliflower into soups and hot sauces to sneak in another color of the rainbow.
2. Eat more eggs. If your body likes them. They are easy and versatile. Packed full of amino acids (protein), vitamin A, B and D. Iron (carries oxygen in your blood) and choline (plays an important role in the nervous system) they work together to keep your mood and energy high.
3. Make one of your meals a salad. I don’t care what is on it. Just fill with your favorite veggies/fruit. Add some protein it can be shrimp or steak or chicken, or beans. Sprinkle on some cheese and your golden. I like to add fresh lemon juice to homemade ranch dressing. Some just like olive oil.
4. Drink your water. 75% of Americas are DEHYDRATED! Wow! That I just googled. Your bodies are 80% water and we as a nation are filling up on sugar energy drinks. Having brain fog and lack of energy, can’t sleep, and reaching for more quick fixes. When the quick fix is water. It’s so simple. So grab a bottle of your choice and drink 3 of them a day. Don’t worry about the size or oz. just drink. Soon you will be wanting more
5. When snacking- Pick 2 items. Items you have in your house or can grab at the grocery store. Don't just eat a cheese stick or and apple your body need to combo of macronutrients (Protein, Carbs, & Fat) to fuel your body and to keep it satisfied until the next meal. Snacks are just that not a meal. It can be pretzels and cheese or apples and peanut butter or a couple of cuties and some popcorn. Pick two -you will stay more satisfied and it will give you the energy you are looking for.
“Life is too short for self-hatred and celery sticks.”
– Marilyn Wann